Proper Eyeglass Cleaning
Cleaning your glasses the right way
These simple tips will help you enjoy your glasses longer without scratches, dents and other damage caused by improper cleaning.
Let’s just face it. Replacing new glasses can be very expensive. Often you have to replace them multiple times a year due to scratches, marks or simply when your lens cracks or breaks. Dust attributes to 99% of all glasses getting scratched. When dust settles on the lens and collects, most people decide to wipe it off. They have every reason to want to see through their glasses without having to see grain and hair. The problem lies in their technique. If you improperly clean your glasses with dust and other debris on them, you can severely damage the lens. The more of those little scratches, the less happy you’ll be with your eyeglasses and the more likely you will have to pay for new ones. Also, dirty glasses obstruct lenses from doing their job correctly. This can cause even more damage to your eyes. Below are some simple tips for proper cleaning of your eyeglass lenses.
1) Buy a cleaning kit. Cleaning kits contain everything you need to keep your glasses clean and protected. It should include cleaning solution, cloth and a case. This shouldn’t be your main source for cleaning glasses mainly because having to replace this kit is expensive. Keep this kit with you at work or in your car to use as a back up and replace it when you’re done.
2) When at home use soap and water. Rinse each eyeglass separately under water and use hand soap to clean off smudges and grease. For this step you can use your fingertips on either side of each lens with the soap and water to facilitate the soapy cleaning.
3) Use a soft dry cotton cloth to dry your lens. People often make the mistake of using paper towels, toilet paper or towels in this step. Do not use any of these. Paper towels are too tough and will scratch the glasses themselves. Toilet paper leaves debris from the light material. Towels also leave debris and are not good for drying anything but your hands and body.
4) When using cleaner, hold your frames in the center and wipe lens in a circular motion with a soft piece of cloth. It’s recommended to use the cloth in your cleaning kit or material much like it.
5) Another way to clean your eyeglasses is to dunk them in warm water mixed with soap and clean them while in the water. This ensures every corner of your frame gets cleaned including the hard to reach spots. Once you’re done, run each lens side under warm water to get rid of the soap.
6) To clean the nosepiece it is recommended to use a toothbrush and soap. This will get rid of harmful grime that builds up due to dirt and grease.
7) Sometimes, cleaning your frames with alcohol is a good idea. The best way to do this is to mix the alcohol with a few drop of liquid detergent. This allows grease and grime to be lifted from the lens and makes the overall cleaning process much easier. The best way to use this solution is in spray form. Find a small spray bottle and mix the alcohol and detergent well. If you find a small enough bottle, you have also made a cheap alternative to buying cleaning solution.
8) If all you have is vinegar around the house, don’t fret. Vinegar is a sterile and great solution for cleaning eyeglass lenses. Only use a little bit – a few drops at most. The neat thing about vinegar is that it is the only solution that dissolves dust and dirt due to the acetic acid present. This is the cheapest and “greenest” way to clean your eyeglasses but often the smell turns people off.
Remember to clean your lenses every night before going to bed. Make it a part of your routine, like brushing your teeth. Purchase a case to protect your eyeglasses when you’re not using them. This will prevent you from placing your glasses face down where the table and dust on the table can severely scratch them. Keeping your lenses clean will keep you happy and using the frames you love for a long time. This way you won’t have to buy new glasses three times a year and you’ll save time and money. Glasses and lenses can be very expensive. These tips will help you keep your lenses longer than you imagined. Take care of your glasses and they will take care of you.
Findul - About Author:
glasses frames are the instrument or devices which aid in correcting defective sight. Find out how to properly clean your eyeglasses minimizing scratches, holes and long term damage. We have the most advanced lenses on the market, sunglasses and eyeglasses all from the top brands.
Published by Roger Schultz Optical on January 7th 2012 | Business
Published by Jaguartools on December 9th 2011 | Business
Published by Roger Schultz Optical on January 6th 2012 | Business
Published by Raviexpertseo on December 14th 2011 | Business
Published by Roger Schultz Optical on November 25th 2011 | Business
Published by Tom Hag on January 5th 2012 | Business
Published by Tom Hag on January 4th 2012 | Business