Some Tips and Essentials for Special Schools
The whole purpose of sending children with special needs to special schools is to cater to their educational needs which may be due to learning difficulties or a physical disability. They are designed specifically to provide appropriate special education to children who are not able to attend classes in the mainstream schools. These special schools must able to provide individualized education, addressing specific needs. Along with that schools must have facilities that enhance development in children, for instance - soft play areas, sensory rooms, or swimming pools etc.
The whole set up in the special school should be such that it effectively communicates abstract thoughts of children to their mentors. The communication gap can be filled with the help of mediums such as sign language, Braille etc. Games and other activities like dance, drama, music, and art and craft must be given equal importance to nurture all aspects of the personality like cognitive, physical etc.
Acclimatize school and staff
• The school staff must be sensitized towards children and their condition. Administrators, principal, helping staff and especially teachers must develop a perspective and skill in dealing with special children.
• The schools must enroll experienced teachers for training children. In case if they need, extra support they should be provided with assistance teacher to manage the class.
• The class size shouldn’t be more than 10 to 15 students as each child requires individual attention. No child should be left ignored or left unattended.
Teaching method and techniques
• Teachers teaching method must connect to the learning styles of all children. Medium of instruction should be such that suits the diversity of learners. Teachers can teach using sign language for children with hearing impairment, and Braille for children with visual impairment.
• The school must also offer optional subject or second language to the students.
• To make them self-reliant, school must also teach students emphasis of independent living skills, critical thinking, decision making and problem-solving skills, and articulation of their concerns etc.
• Curriculum and syllabus must be designed in a way to effectively address issues related to the education of children with special needs.
• Develop strengths and abilities of all children rather than highlighting limitations.
• There shouldn’t be any policy of failing students as the aim should be to enable each child to overcome perceived difficulties.
Develop partnerships with institutions of higher learning, governmental organizations, and NGOs to promote participation of children with disabilities in all aspects of education.
Pooja Sharma - About Author:
Sparsh is best Ngo in delhi for underprivileged. It have Child Ngo Projects in Delhi –
Savera Special School for, Sparsh School, Project Shakti, Employment to Persons with Disabilities, The ‘Being’ training.
E/11, Defence Colony,
New Delhi 110 024
Mobile : 7838654060
Published by CVGiCanada on April 17th 2012 | Education
Published by John Botha on December 9th 2011 | Education
Published by Donna Summer on January 17th 2012 | Education
Published by John Botha on December 11th 2011 | Education
Published by Rogar Mur on January 17th 2012 | Education
Published by Johngraham on March 20th 2012 | Education
Published by Donna Summer on January 25th 2012 | Education
Published by Arnold Cruise on April 19th 2012 | Education
Published by Manu on March 28th 2012 | Education