Bahrain History - from Pre-Islamic Times to the Present
Bahrain is officially known as the Kingdom of Bahrain (translation – Kingdom of the Two Seas) and is an island country situated in the Persian Gulf to the east of Saudi Arabia. From your hotel in Bahrain, you can venture out into various sections of the country and see evidence of its historical past; from pre-Islamic times onwards, including the discovery of vast oil reserves in 1932 which provided Bahrain with sufficient financial rewards to implement an extensive modernisation programme, bringing themselves into the modern technological age quicker than many of their neighbouring countries.
There are five main stages of Bahrain’s history as follows:
1. Pre-Islamic – from the 3rd Century BC to the 7th Century AD, Bahrain was part of the Persian Empire until the arrival of Islam.
2. Islamic conversion and then Portuguese control – in 629 AD, Islam was adopted and in 1521, Portugal invaded and seized Bahrain.
3. Bani Utbah tribe origins – the islands of Bahrain were lost to the Bani Utbah tribe in 1783 after 262 years of Portuguese domination.
4. Bani Utbah tribe’s rising power – once the tribe had taken control of the islands, the city of Muharraq became Bahrain’s capital city and the country’s power centre.
5. Al Khalifa ascendancy and treaties with Great Britain – the Al Khalifa and his family moved to Bahrain in 1797 but it wasn’t until 1820 that they became the ruling power of the country.
If you are interested in visiting the country of Bahrain to explore more of its history, you can inquire at your accommodation upon arrival for information regarding the country’s history and the best places to visit.
Published by Peter Jason on April 27th 2012 | Travel
Published by John Wood on December 29th 2011 | Travel
Published by Dan Valley on April 26th 2012 | Travel
Published by Top Articles on November 28th 2011 | Travel
Published by Dan Valley on April 30th 2012 | Travel
Published by John Wood on December 30th 2011 | Travel
Published by Prinsjanks on June 19th 2012 | Travel
Published by Vinay Tiwari on March 5th 2012 | Travel
Published by Brijesh on November 26th 2011 | Travel