All that you need to know about Operation Support Systems
What are operation support systems?
The computer system used by telecommunication service providers for managing a telephone or computer network is called operation support systems or OSS..
Why is it needed?
Previously only the voice telephone systems existed. But in today’s world there is a need of this traditional system to integrate with today’s broadband applications such as teleconferencing, or packet based internet traffic like VoIP. Hence, operation support systems are required for ordering network components, tracking the same, analyzing the patterns of usage and traffic as well as monitoring the billing and reporting aspects.
Types of operation support systems:
Essentially there are three types of operation support systems:
• Integrated Single Provider OSS - Here the software suite is provided by one single vendor who integrates all its components and features.
• Common Standard architecture OSS – Its architecture is based on the specifications provided by the Tele Management Forums. Here the component integration depends on the set standards.
• Discrete component Integration OSS- When components are selected and integrated by the customer in order to assemble his own OSS.
Elements of operation support systems:
The architecture of any operation support systems can be said to possess four basic elements:
• Data, or the information on which action needs to be taken
• Processes, or the order of events
• Applications, or the components that helps the process to manage the data
• Technology, the method by which the applications are implemented
Business Benefits of OSS:
Since operation support systems are totally configurable, the hosts of benefits include:
• Suited to individual needs
• High ROI and low cost of operation in installation
• Efficient management of the network including quick troubleshooting
• Flexibility within dynamic and changing business environment
• Integration with other IT systems in a company such as CRM
Published by James on February 24th 2012 | Technology
Published by Charlie McCoy on August 9th 2012 | Technology
Published by James on February 23rd 2012 | Technology
Published by Stuart Owens on February 24th 2012 | Technology
Published by Mary Porter on June 19th 2012 | Technology
Published by Phara Maya on December 5th 2011 | Technology
Published by James Blee on March 22nd 2012 | Technology
Published by Nishaidhijames on August 10th 2012 | Technology