School Garden-A World of Knowledge outside the Classroom
Flora was a little girl who had lost both her parents in a car crash. After her parents’ death, she was sent to live with her grandmother. The loss of her parents turned Flora into a completely different person. Earlier, she was a very charming girl who used to bring a smile to everyone’s face; but now it seemed that she had lost her life beauty somewhere in the dust of life. In her grandmother’s place, there was a big garden, full of colorful and beautiful flowers.
Gradually she developed a longing for plants, trees and flowers in the garden. It seemed that she was able to commune with the plants under her care with particular skill, speaking to them as if they were aware of her words. Indeed, she was the true embodiment of what one would want in a gardener. As the time passed, she started recovering from the black shadows of the past and again got her previous charm back. In all its glory, her garden displayed bursts of color and vitality. Filled with the proof of her abilities, it was a testament to her affinity with plants.
It is often noticed that kids are always attracted towards the natural world. The act of gardening sometime becomes a fun filled activity for kids. They enjoy planting seeds, giving water to the plants and taking care of the little flowers in the garden. In earlier days, almost in every school there were gardens that were maintained by the school teachers and the students. In the modern schools, there are provisions for biological gardens. But to introduce kids to the natural world, the best way is to get them involved in it. Spending time in close relation with nature has a host of benefits to offer to the young learners.
There are certain benefits that are briefly discussed below:-
1. The act of gardening help the kids come up from their mental depression. This activity is mostly beneficial for kids suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD),
2. Gardening in the school is considered to be a very good group activity. This develops a sense of belongingness and team spirit among the students,
3. Gardening in school offers students with a wide range of hand on experience. Teachers can tell the students about different plants and trees in the classroom; but giving them a practical experience can make their concepts more clear about the biological world,
4. The experience of seeing seeds, soil, water and sun come together to transform a seed into a tiny plant is a lesson in itself, and one not soon forgotten. Moreover, it is the call of the hour to make our next generation aware of the natural world to protect it from being destroyed and this can best be learned in a school garden,
4. Students can also plant some vegetable in the school garden. This will encourage the kids to eat green vegetables as they are much more likely to taste a vegetable they have grown, and vegetables always taste better straight from the garden.
School gardens can take a variety of forms, from the simplest containers outside a classroom to a multi-plot, in-ground garden featuring seating areas and a greenhouse. But the size of your garden should not limit its potential to contribute to the learning environment. The benefits are readily available to all, so plant that seed and reap your fruits!
Harry Yadav - About Author:
This article has been written and posted by the team of OnlineSchoolAdmissions - a portal that provides free of cost consultancy to parents and schools for fast and easy online school admission process. Parents can locate step by step noida or summer fields school of their choice selected from the directory of schools listed on the site and applies to them. They can also search for tagore international school as per their choice and fill up the school application forms online.
Published by Nvid Lada on December 6th 2011 | Education
Published by Juliette Winser on December 27th 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Tutortutor on January 10th 2012 | Education
Published by Strausandrew on July 30th 2012 | Education
Published by Todd Fernando on February 29th 2012 | Education
Published by Esl-schools on June 19th 2012 | Education
Published by Anuska Kiran on February 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Billy Dawson on January 6th 2012 | Education
Published by Leo Steven on March 5th 2012 | Education
Published by Apple Kids on December 1st 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Asjohnsmith on July 23rd 2012 | K-12 Education
Published by Louis Philips on January 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Phineasrodney on January 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Jasina on March 1st 2012 | Education
Published by Johnsmith on December 27th 2011 | Education
Published by Reginald Juan on March 8th 2012 | Education
Published by Osa on December 1st 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Mary Porter on June 23rd 2012 | Education
Published by Esl-languages on August 8th 2012 | Education
Published by Sherry Root on December 24th 2011 | Education