How to prepare students for summer camps?
Teachers have a great responsibility of preparing the students for the summer camps. It is important to prepare them in advance for the camp experience. If any child is going for the first time to the camp, he/she may be nervous about the trip, it is here teacher's role counts. Visiting summer camp is a big step for children and parents, a little advance preparation can make everyone feel more comfortable.
Camps are wonderful way to make children feel independent, to make new friends, to be creative, develop new skills, learn about teamwork and much more.
Teachers need to guide students from the very beginning and follow these simple tips -
- The school authorities and teachers must ensure safety of the children first. For that they must select secure location for camping and organizers with good experience must be allotted with the responsibility.
- Teachers must inform and convey to the parents in detail about the camping trip. If parents have any queries and doubts, teachers must resolve to clarify them. Also, they must make sure that there isn't any kind of miscommunication between them.
- Teachers must start discussions with students about the camping in classroom. Give them homework or projects to learn as much as possible about camp life.
- Tell them that security is utmost priority. Teach them how to care of himself/herself. They should stay with the group and mustn't wander alone all by themselves.
- Teachers must prepare kids for unexpected events. Forewarn them about it. What if you don't feel well? What if you don't get along with another child? Let them brainstorm for solutions after all camping is all about problems handling.
- Homesickness is fairly common amongst kids on trips. Explain well to the students about it and ask them to share their feelings. Also, camp staff should be trained to help your child in these ups and downs.
- Teachers must provide packing tips to students. Every camp has a proper itnary and sends a list of things to bring to the camp. Teachers must advice to students to follow the list religiously. Children need to know how to select appropriate clothing, how to make bed, manage their clothes etc.
- Many children are unfamiliar with total darkness and country night sounds. Teachers can make them practice walking in the dark with a flashlight.
- Teachers must interact with camp officials. Ensure if there are special circumstances or considerations regarding students well being or behavior.
Pooja Sharma - About Author:
The Knowledge Tree Academy which conducts b.ed education in delhi for those who are looking for teaching jobs and career in schools. Its various courses include secondary school teaching, primary teacher training course, IT teacher training school management course and business management course.
Published by Morkalshane on July 9th 2012 | Education
Published by Manjeet Singh on July 27th 2012 | Education
Published by Strausandrew on July 30th 2012 | Education
Published by Pooja Sharma on April 6th 2012 | K-12 Education
Published by Apple Kids on December 1st 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Billy Dawson on January 6th 2012 | Education
Published by Esl-languages on August 8th 2012 | Education
Published by Osa on January 19th 2012 | Education
Published by Juliette Winser on December 27th 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Anuska Kiran on February 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Todd Fernando on February 21st 2012 | Education
Published by Leo Steven on March 2nd 2012 | Education
Published by Jasina on March 1st 2012 | Education
Published by Phineasrodney on January 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Rahul on July 2nd 2012 | Education
Published by Leo Steven on March 5th 2012 | Education
Published by Esl-schools on June 19th 2012 | Education
Published by Johnsmith on December 27th 2011 | Education
Published by Jon Dudley on August 17th 2012 | Education
Published by Sherry Root on December 24th 2011 | Education