How to Deal with a Child Who Hates School
When children declare that they don’t want to go to school, it often happens because the kids must have some problem which has nothing to do with school work. Children can have different reasons for disliking school depending upon their age and grade level. Parents need to take some concrete step if the child hates school due to social or academic problems. Sometimes when you get close with your child ask them to tell you about the school matter. They may be able to tell you directly, or you may need to set up particular conditions. Feeling safe, loved, and close is what enables a child to talk to you about difficulties they are having.
Bullying is also one of the serious cause which the children from going to school. Teens don’t want parents calling their teachers. Research has proved that bullying has negative e effect on kids which give rise to poor school performance, low self-esteem, depression and suicidal thoughts. Talk to your ward about the bullying and assure that your child is not alone. At the same time make sure that school is aware of the situation. There are many ways to help kids who hate school like:
1. Try to find out the main cause of the problem. Is the issue social, psychological or physiological.
2. Involve your kids with extracurricular activities that interest them.
3. Teach your child to think about some awkward or good situation, then ask questions to help them cope, like "What do you think will happen?" or "How could you make it better?"
4. Engage the teacher and resolve the situation together and if the problem is with a specific classmate or teacher, talk to a school administrator about your options. At last don't get scared to change classes/teachers.
5. Reserve 15 minutes daily to allow your kid to worry and ask them to write down the fears.
6 Be honest about your own experiences in school. Let your kid know you've been there, too.
7. Get a tutor or academic coach. Individual attention from someone outside the family can make all the difference, especially if the issue is academic.
8. Teach anxiety-coping strategies to divert your kids mind such as counting objects ( colors in the room, designs in the bulletin board, toys in the room) to get your child out of the negative, anxiety-ridden frame of mind.
9. The elementary way to get rid of stress is to laugh! It releases endorphins that make your kid (and you) feel better!
10.Use deep listening. If your child says "My teacher hates me," reply them by saying that there must be some misunderstanding. Ask your child to complete the whole scenario to confirm the feeling.
11. You can also take professional help if you feel you've tried everything and your kid is still unhappy and have the same hatred feeling towards the school. In this instance, don’t be afraid to make an appointment with a counselor or child psychologist.
12. Converse about school issues with other parents of kids to get more ideas.
If your child hates school it is probably not their fault, nor that of his teacher, but rather it can be evidence that the brain is functioning appropriately. So, it is the duty of the parents to find out the root.
Harry Yadav - About Author:
This article has been posted by a school guide of OnlineSchoolAdmissions.Com, who also provides free of cost counseling to parents on school admissions. A visit to the site lets parents know about the best school in mumbai or schools in mumbai of their choice. They can also search for sainik school kapurthala as per their choice and fill up the school application forms online.
Published by Gooddrivers on March 5th 2012 | Education
Published by Leo Steven on March 5th 2012 | Education
Published by Reginald Juan on March 8th 2012 | Education
Published by Louis Philips on January 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Asjohnsmith on July 23rd 2012 | K-12 Education
Published by Frederick D on February 23rd 2012 | Education
Published by Nvid Lada on December 6th 2011 | Education
Published by Mary Porter on June 23rd 2012 | Education
Published by Jon Dudley on August 17th 2012 | Education
Published by Phineasrodney on January 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Todd Fernando on February 29th 2012 | Education
Published by Apple Kids on December 1st 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Leo Steven on March 2nd 2012 | Education
Published by Donna Summer on January 27th 2012 | Education
Published by Sherry Root on December 24th 2011 | Education
Published by Jones Martin on February 21st 2012 | Education
Published by Osa on January 19th 2012 | Education
Published by Juliette Winser on December 27th 2011 | K-12 Education
Published by Anuska Kiran on February 13th 2012 | Education
Published by Esl-languages on August 8th 2012 | Education