Health Benefits of Onion
Including vegetables in our daily diet is a very good health habit. Fresh vegetables are full of nutrients and minerals. We use many vegetables daily and onion is also a part of our daily diet. Onions are being used in culinary from a very long period and is an indigenous part many cuisines around the world including Indian, French and Mexican. Even thinking about onion brings tears to our eyes but it can do many wonders apart from giving running eyes and nose.
Onion is a very good source of Carbohydrates, Sugar, Protein, Water, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Folate, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Sodium, and Zinc. Being rich in all these nutrients and minerals, onion is very effective in keeping good health. Few health benefits of onion are:
• Good Oral Health: Onions are often used to prevent tooth decay and oral infections.
• Treatment for Heart Ailments: Onions aids in thinning of the blood, which in turn prevents the red blood cells from forming clumps. These blocks could lead to heart disorders or cardiovascular diseases.
• Removes acne: Onion juice mixed with honey or olive oil is said to be best treatment for acne condition.
• Treatment for Cough: Consuming equal mixture of onion juice and honey can relive sore throat and cough symptoms.
• Used as Insect Repellent: onion juice if applied to honey-bee bite and other insect bites, can reduce the pain.
• Boost Sexual Drive: Onions are said to increase the urge for healthy sexual life. From ancient times it is considered as being aphrodisiac and is suggested in some Hindu and Buddhist sects to avoid it.
• Treatment of Anaemic Condition: Being rich in iron, anaemic conditions can be improved by eating onions along with jaggery and water.
• Relieves Stomach Ache: Onions have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that give relief to upset stomach and related gastro syndromes.
• Treating Urinary Disorders: For those suffering from burning sensation during urination, having onions boiled in water can provide considerable relief.
• Prevention of Cancer: Onions are rich in active compounds that successfully inhibit the development of cancerous cells and are quite effective in avoiding breast cancer.
• Relieving Earache: A few drops of onion juice may actually prove immensely beneficial to individuals suffering from acute earache.
• Onions Consist of Sulphur Rich Compounds- being rich in sulphur compounds, onion can stop biochemical chain formations that could possibly lead to an asthmatic condition. Onions also facilitates the melting of phlegm in a patient suffering from severe cough.
It is suggested in Ayurveda to eat onion daily to cure most of the common diseases. Onions are effective in curing most of the ailments, but one should also consult a physician or family doctor if they have symptoms of any disease and take proper medication before they get worse.
Priyanka Sharma - About Author:
This article has been written and posted by a health advisor working at bookmydoctor.com, who also provides free of cost consultancy to patients and advise on various topics like vegetables for diet By visiting the site, you can read articles on benefits of onion and health benefits of onion.
Published by Julia Bennet on April 17th 2012 | Health
Published by Meghnath Kumar on February 23rd 2012 | Health
Published by James Blee on July 20th 2012 | Health
Published by Julia Roger on November 25th 2011 | Health
Published by Calantha Quana on February 13th 2012 | Health
Published by Ashish Pandey on April 7th 2012 | Health
Published by Dental Implants on June 27th 2012 | Health
Published by Amery on July 5th 2012 | Health
Published by Thomas Andrew on March 6th 2012 | Health
Published by Mary Porter on June 16th 2012 | Health
Published by Alarm Systems on March 12th 2012 | Health
Published by Ashish Pandey on February 25th 2012 | Health
Published by Book_mydoctor on June 1st 2012 | Health
Published by Ashtonleigh on February 8th 2012 | Health
Published by Dorothy Hickman on June 5th 2012 | Health
Published by Julia Roger on June 13th 2012 | Health
Published by Baterna Farms2 on July 23rd 2012 | Health
Published by Sean Burke on April 23rd 2012 | Health
If you’re undecided about whether or not to take a gap year, here’s a quick summary of its b...
Published by Cody on February 16th 2012 | Health