3 Tips on Staying Lean Year-Round
Tip #1 – Don’t give in to the “dirty bulk”
Practiced by many in the bodybuilding community and by fitness enthusiasts everywhere, people mistakenly believe that they need to eat way more than their caloric maintenance level to pack on muscle, which simply isn’t the case.
Studies have shown that only around 300 excess calories over maintenance are used in hypertrophy while the rest is stored as fat. There’s no need to eat anymore than 300 over maintenance, or 2100 calories over your weekly maintenance if you want to follow a cyclical approach to dieting (which I outline here).
Additionally, a new study shows that high-protein diets are favorable in hypercaloric situations in regards to lean mass gaining. Seems obvious, but many people overlook it.
In a nutshell, following the higher-protein diet led to greater weight gain, but also contributed to a higher resting energy expenditure and lean body mass. So, if your looking gain, shoot for 300 calories and a high-protein diet (roughly 1 gram/pound of bodyweight).
Tip #2 – Be consistent!
Consistency is key in any nutrition plan—it’s what you do 90% of the time that’s most important, not the other 10%. So, don’t allow an occasional diet slip-up to derail your efforts for the rest of the day, weekend, or week. Understand that reaching your goals is a long process and you’ll be much better equipped to make it there.
Tip #3 – Place more important on diet than training
Most people are always looking for a cutting-edge training routine to jumpstart their weight loss or muscle gain when they tried-and-true methods are usually the way to go. I look at it this way; almost any workout can provide results if the diet is on par, but no workout can make up for a poor diet.
That’s it for this week. Next week we’ll get more into a few of the benefits of high-protein diets in relation to muscle gain and weight loss.
You can stay connected with my fitness ideas by going here: http://www.nextphasefitness.com/blog/
Jimmie Flores - About Author:
Eric Flores is a college student who has achieved physical fitness and wants to share his knowledge of training and nutrition with others. Through years of trial and error, Eric Flores has become proficient in designing exercise and nutrition programs for all fitness goals; functional or aesthetic. You can stay connected with my fitness ideas by going here: http://www.nextphasefitness.com/blog/
Published by Julia Roger on December 1st 2011 | Health
Published by Julia Bennet on December 17th 2011 | Health
Published by Newherbal on April 5th 2012 | Health
Published by Juan Max on January 25th 2012 | Health
Published by Contact Lens on December 20th 2011 | Health
Published by Adair Sawyer on January 30th 2012 | Health
Published by Jacksonsims on May 30th 2012 | Health
Published by AngeloEverton on November 29th 2011 | Health
Published by Sunitakamboj on June 27th 2012 | Health
Published by Vjneel on January 24th 2012 | Health
Published by Scott Bell on February 29th 2012 | Health
Published by Pitter James on December 29th 2011 | Health
Published by Jaiskajonson on June 11th 2012 | Health
Published by Loupe Direct on May 9th 2012 | Health
Published by Christmastree on February 16th 2012 | Health
Published by Loupe Direct on July 12th 2012 | Health
Published by Atul Sharma on April 16th 2012 | Health
Published by Ashish Pandey on January 19th 2012 | Health
Published by Julia Roger on May 30th 2012 | Health
Published by Balfour on June 6th 2012 | Health