Fraud Management – a Necessity to Keep a Check on Credit Card Frauds
Credit card fraud along with its usage for making electronic payments has increased rapidly over the past few years. It is an easy mode of electronic payments and has reduced the hassle of carrying cash physically. Carrying cash physically for making payments has many other risks associated to it like, theft and getting lost. Online payments diminish these risks to some extent; however, it has also increased the number of frauds, which calls for the necessity of fraud management.
How does a credit card fraud initiate?
These frauds can be of various types, but the fraud originates only when the card is lost physically or the data related to the card along with the card number is exposed or disclosed to the person trying to commit the fraud. The most risky fraud is caused by the theft of the physical card where the thief can use it and make huge transactions. It is for this reason that a stolen card should be reported immediately to block any further transactions. If a stolen card is not reported to be blocked immediately and is constantly used by the fraudulent user, the cardholder would not know about this theft until he receives bill of the fraud transactions made through it.
Avoiding the frauds
It goes without saying that prevention is better than cure; hence it is always suggested to safeguard your credit card before it gets lost and fraudulent activities are conducted through it. Following are some steps that should be taken for managing the fraud that has occurred through your credit card:
• Call your bank immediately, the moment you find that you have lost your card or your card’s PIN.
• If ever you wish to discard your credit card or wish to discontinue using it, always have it blocked officially and discard it by cutting it into two halves.
• Always make sure that your signatures are printed on the back of the card, in order to safeguard from unauthorized use of an unsigned card.
• Whenever using your credit card for making a payment, make sure you do not sign a blank charge slip
• Always check the payment details on the charge slip to verify they are true.
• Always ensure that all the transactions mentioned on the bill sent to you periodically are real and in your knowledge. In case you see a transaction that has not been made by you, report it instantly.
• Always keep a check on your account statement online to avoid waiting for the bill to be delivered as per the billing cycle.
In case a fraud has occurred through your personal credit card, do not waste time and have your card transactions checked from the relevant bank. Report the fraud to the fraud management team of the bank and keep a constant follow up about the recovery.
Anthony Taylor - About Author:
Anthony Taylor is an expert in Internet security issues and has been associated with AlgoCharge, which is one of the leading online merchant services to prevent credit card fraud. The company offers an integrated solution to payment processing and fraud management using advanced algorithms.
Published by Abhishek Gupta on July 17th 2012 | Business
Published by Crowin Smith on April 3rd 2012 | Business
Published by Diego Hall on December 15th 2011 | Business
Published by Jack on August 15th 2012 | Business
Published by Julia Roger on May 25th 2012 | Business
Published by Dinesh on April 24th 2012 | Business
Published by Diego Hall on December 2nd 2011 | Business
Published by Rahul on July 24th 2012 | Business
Published by Sam Hopkins on February 14th 2012 | Business
Published by Safinajones on December 22nd 2011 | Business
Published by James Blee on June 9th 2012 | Business
Published by Nancy Deholla on January 13th 2012 | Business
Published by Chris Whelan on February 29th 2012 | Business
Published by Adam Walker on April 11th 2012 | Business
Published by Leslie Hoffman on January 14th 2012 | Business
Published by Edward Charles on March 23rd 2012 | Business
Published by Gabi William on March 27th 2012 | Business
Published by Jonathan Robinson on December 22nd 2011 | Business
Published by Roney on February 7th 2012 | Business
Published by Safinajones on February 29th 2012 | Business